Parents of severely mentally retarded and differently abled persons require emotional strength and flexibility. Older parents can find themselves overwhelmed by various medical, caregiving and financial responsibilities. PH/MR persons always need special care and attention since they cannot perform their day to day activities without someone else’s assistance. Sometimes it can be quite challenging for older parents in BPL families, especially mothers, who have to take care of household tasks and work apart from taking care of MR persons.
Looking after such Mentally challenged/PH person is expensive. These expenses can arise from medical equipment and supplies, medical care, caregiving expenses, specialized transportation, etc. Even though an amount of Rs. 525/- is being provided as Aswasakiranam pension to care givers (family members) of bedridden PH/MR persons, it cannot cover the expenses completely. Single mothers face tremendous challenges. Often, a custodial parent must fulfill the roles of primary provider and caregiver without the benefit of a partner. It is a difficult task under the best of circumstances.
Social Justice Department has devised an innovative scheme called “Swasraya” which provides financial assistance to such single mothers which will enable them to find self-employment. An amount of Rs 35,000/- is being provided to the beneficiaries as one time assistance.
· Applicant must be from BPL family.
· Parents (mothers) with children having 70% or more disability / mental retardation.
· Mothers of severely disabled/mentally challenged bed-ridden patients will be given priority.
· Single/Unwed mothers/Wives abandoned by husbands/Legally divorced women/Separated women are eligible to apply under this scheme.
· Close relatives (women- as mentioned in the above category) who act as care takers of severely disabled/mentally challenged patients can also apply.
· Application along with detailed project report about the self-employment has to be submitted to the concerned District Social Justice Officers.
· Beneficiaries of Aswasakiranam scheme can also submit applications.
The duly filled application form has to be submitted to the concerned District Social Justice Officers
|Application Forms||Swasraya scheme for parents (single mothers) of PH/MR persons|
|GOs||Swasraya scheme for parents (single mothers) of PH/MR persons|